Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bikes, Books and Bento




My car's been out of commission for a bit now, so if I have a day to myself and want to get around, I usually wind up riding my bike. It's a purple beast from the 1960's - I love it, but it's really, really difficult to ride it up some of the long, sloping hills around my place. Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to take a trip to my local, awesome Japanese grocery store. Easier said than done! I was feel a bit under the weather, was totally dehydrated. only halfway there. . . there was nothing for it - I had to have a bit of a lay-down at a busy intersection. I was cursing the bike for it's lack of gears to help my fat arse get up the hill.

After 25 minutes of being sprawled in the grass, praying that no one would think that I had collapsed and lost consciousness and call an ambulance, I managed to catch my breath enough to make it the last leg to the store. I picked up some supplies to make an awesome bento lunch for me and my best mate Pat, who also happens to be my co-worker.

Later that evening I was quite restless, and I wound up staying up a lot later than I should have. I think it was well worth the effort - my tamago turned out pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. I am looking forward to making bento lunches a weekly thing and improving on my skills.

Pat also brought me some things to occupy the free-time that I always seem to have on my hands. A novel of "Papillon", several anime that I've yet to see, Jim Henson's Storyteller, some Neil Gaiman graphic novels - it should keep me busy for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment