Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tiny Tigers


Here's another installment of the weekly bento that I make for myself and my best friend/co-worker. I got the idea for the tiger faces over at justbento.com. The tiger faces were awfully fiddly, as I don't own any nori punches just yet. I like a challenge, though!

My quick little recipe for white chili:

1-1.5 lbs pork, cut into bit sized pieces
1 can of diced green chilies
2 cans of great northern beans, drained
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 can of chicken stock
a little cornstarch
cumin
1 chicken flavour bouillon cube
salt & pepper
red pepper flakes
cayenne pepper
sriracha sauce

In a large skillet, fry the pork and onion together in a little bit of olive oil. Season with the cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until pork is just done - don't overcook it as you'll continue to cook it as it simmers with the beans and stock.

Dump the beans into a large pot and simmer over medium heat. Stir in the pork/onion mixture and the can of chilies. Add red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper to taste. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the chicken stock and whisk in a bit of the cornstarch. This is what I use to thicken the mixture up. Add this to the beans and meat, along with the rest of the can of chicken stock. You may have to adjust the level of cornstarch added to get the desired consistency. . . I usually just wing it. :D Now's the time that you'll also want to add that bouillon cube for a little extra kick of flavour. And of course the sriracha to taste

Simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes or so. It's ready to eat, but like most chilies and stews and such, it's better the second day.

I serve it with grated cheese, chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream!

1 comment: